Monday, July 20, 2009

Sharons trip to Cornwall

Rachel, Beth and Sharon going out dancing in Cornwall

So as Andrew flew off into another country I headed down the south of England to a little town called Falmouth in the province of Cornwall. It took me a whole 8 hours and 4 different busses to get all the way there with most of the way being too foggy to see anything! I was however lucky enough to find friendly old ladies on two of the four busses who took me under their wing and made sure that I was fed thinking I was a 'poor starving and lonely girl, travelling all alone'... Great for me!
Cornwall turned out to be in a world of its own, which by the way is not an insult as they like to think of themselves as a separate identity. This includes having their own flag and particular way of speaking among other things. I was lucky enough to be housed by three fantastic Girls (none of which originated in Cornwall) and was shown the true Cornish experience. I was taken to the beach a few times, was cold but pretty. While at the beach I experienced a Cornish Ice Cream. Firstly I must explain to you that Cornish people love ‘clotted cream’ this cream is best described as the consistency of mayonnaise and a stronger ‘fatty’ taste then other creams. Now picture a nice vanilla Ice Cream, good yes? Now cover the Ice Cream in clotted cream as you would chocolate dip but much thinker. As you munch your way through the fat sticks to the top of your mouth and as you cannot eat it fast it then drips all down your clothes. All the while Cornish people look on and laugh. Ice Cream anyone? I was also able to eat a Cornish pasty (said in an English accent otherwise no one understands exactly what you are after) which is like a pie but using only one piece of pastry rather then two. Traditionally this dish was used for the miners and had half sweet and half meat so it was a whole meal in one, though now they separate the two thank goodness! This was a much more pleasant experience as was Cream tea. Cream tea is another Cornish tradition which consists of tea, scone, jam and of coarse clotted cream! I was a little worried but found that the scone’s dryness actually worked well with this cream, a very nice surprise. I was also warned that you must put cream on the scone first and then the jam prior to doing so. Doing it the other way apparently offends the Cornish people as their rivalry neighbours do it the opposite way…ooooo.
I also had some fun ‘none traditional’ Cornish times including Dancing the night away, helping out at a local school, seeing a Castle (this was traditional I guess), shopping, visiting friends, playing games, going to church, having a bbq, all done with wonderful hosts so all in all a great Cornwall experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment